Centralia No . 5: A Mine Disaster No One Ceased

The Centralia Mine exposed in 1907 and continued to be free of perilous accidents for decades (Walker, 2006). By the 1940's mine inspectors began revealing excessive fossil fuel dust inside the mines and in addition provided advice. In 03 25, 1947, the Centralia No . a few coal mine exploded near to the town of Centralia, The state of illinois, killing 111 people. The explosion was caused when an under burdened explosive detonation ignited fossil fuel dust. The explosion with this mine should never have been a surprise to any individual. Driscoll Scanlan, who was a state mine inspector, notified community sector safety professionals by state and federal organizations of the risks as a result of home inspections. There were also union issues and characters to state officials. Various representatives of my own safety organizations and the acquire company had been notified on more than one celebration. Scanlan in addition to the mine's union had also pushed to have the hazards remedied. The lack of the federal and state officials to take action, together with the ignition of built up coal dust, triggered the death of 111 coal miners. Identify and explain several (4) logistical alternatives Scanlan could have tackled. In 1941, Illinois Governor Dwight Green appointed Driscoll Scanlan, as one of the states of sixteen mine inspectors. Scanlan was highly recommended with a state agent (Martin, 1948). He was appointed as the inspector of the district including Centralia My own No . a few. State inspectors jobs contain making sure my very own operators abide by the state exploration law (Stillman, 2010). His first inspection of Centralia No . your five was in 1942. In his first report, his recommendations included cleaning and sprinkling the haulage tracks. Scanlan inspected the acquire several times inside the years prior to the explosion. At the end of each inspection he dispatched his are accountable to the The state of illinois Department of Mines and Minerals. Several of his reports throughout 1942-1944 repeated his previous advice...

References: Matn, J. M. (1948). The blast in Centralia No . 5. Harper's Magazine, 1-38.

Martin, M. (2000). The blast in Centralia Number 5: A mine disaster no one halted.

Saleh, J. (2011). Safety in the mining sector and the unfinished legacy of mining accidents: Safety redressers and defense-in-depth for addressing mining risks. Safety Science, 49, 6th.

Stillman, R. (2010). Public operations concepts and cases (9th ed. ). Boston, MUM: Houghton Mifflin Co. pp. 30-44.

Walker, G. (2006). Death underground: The Centralia and West Frankfort mine disasters.

Ward Jr., K. (2007). Shafted. Buenos aires Monthly, 39 (3), 22-28.

Tags:

The Importance of Intangible Assets Essay

The Meaning in the Things They will Carried Article